Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Bug with CSV files containing quoted fields

360Andy
7 - Meteor

We have found what appears to be a bug in Alteryx.

If you load data from a CSV file containing quoted fields, then any blank fields get a value from a previous record.

The simplest way to replicate the bug is using the SampleOutput component included in the SDKSample. This exhibits the problem out-of-the-box, with a workflow as simple as an Input Data component linked to the SampleOutput component.SampleOutput.png

Input example1.csv:
"10","MR W DAYTON","PALMER AIR CHARTERS, INC","SUITE 106","7350 AIRPORT ROAD","WILMINGTON","DELAWARE","19801","212 249 7586"
"11","MR K SIPPLE","FEIDER COMPANIES INC","POST OFFICE BOX 56259","FEIDER PARKWAY","MINNEAPOLIS","MINNESOTA","55459",""
"12","TAMMY TASAN","ANDERSEN LAMB INC","2300 MARIE VICTORIN/05CAZ","LONGUEUIL QUEBEC","","","",""

Output example1output.csv (extraneous fields highlighted):
10,MR W DAYTON,PALMER AIR CHARTERS, INC,SUITE 106,7350 AIRPORT ROAD,WILMINGTON,DELAWARE,19801,212 249 7586
11,MR K SIPPLE,FEIDER COMPANIES INC,POST OFFICE BOX 56259,FEIDER PARKWAY,MINNEAPOLIS,MINNESOTA,55459,212 249 7586
12,TAMMY TASAN,ANDERSEN LAMB INC,2300 MARIE VICTORIN/05CAZ,LONGUEUIL QUEBEC,MINNEAPOLIS,MINNESOTA,55459,212 249 7586

Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue?

19 REPLIES 19
360Andy
7 - Meteor

This doesn't help either:

m_outfile.write(field.value.pValue, field.value.nLength);

In my own component I'm already testing everything available:

if (!pField->GetNull(pRecord))
    {
        // Get the field value
        TFieldVal<WStringVal> fieldVal = pField->GetAsWString(pRecord);

if (!fieldVal.bIsNull && fieldVal.value.nLength > 0)

None of it helps :(

MichaelCh
Alteryx
Alteryx

This looks like a bug in the SDK. I've made @TashaA aware of it and she is looking into it.

360Andy
7 - Meteor

Thanks. Good luck, @TashaA

360Andy
7 - Meteor

Any progress on this?

360Andy
7 - Meteor

@TashaA, at first we thought this problem only affected data from CSV input files with quoted fields, but we are now seeing it in other circumstances.

We saw it today occur between the output of one of our components and the input of the next.

Upstream the source data was from a tab delimited file without quoted fields.

The problem seems to go away if I switched the input file from Latin1 to UTF-8.

Any news on when we can get a version of the SDK with this bug fixed?

Ta.

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the additional information @360Andy. At this time, I do not have an estimated time for a fix. I will be working with our groups here to see if we can provide any additional troubleshooting or work-around steps. 

I am sorry you are experiencing trouble with this, feel free to continue to share any additional items you notice as you have done today. 

Best,

Tasha

360Andy
7 - Meteor

.@TashaA, Any news on this? Our sales people keep running up against this problem with prospects and it is very embarrassing for them as it looks like a problem with our component. It is such a severe problem that it destroys any confidence in us.

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Greetings @360Andy,

Some news on this front. Good news-we have validated the bug, the not-so-good news-we do not have an immediate remedy for this. I will keep this thread and you posted when we know that we have a fix planned for release.

-Tasha

360Andy
7 - Meteor

Any update on this? Is there any sort of workaround I can use?

This is constantly causing problems.

360Andy
7 - Meteor

Hey @TashaA, any news?

I see the is a new release 2018.4.

My fingers are crossed ;)