Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Next week at Inspire 2013, Paul DePodesta will be delivering part of the opening keynote about how the availability of Big Data regarding player performance has forever changed the way baseball teams scout, draft, trade, sign, and manage players through sports analytics. Paul was a central figure in the Michael Lewis book, “Moneyball:  The Art of Winning an Unfair Game,” and was the inspiration behind the “Peter Brand” character portrayed by Jonah Hill in the 2011 movie adaptation.

Simultaneously, many major league baseball teams are having Cactus League games within blocks of the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel where Inspire will be held next week. These Spring Training games will generate even more data about some of the up-and-coming players, and analytics will play a key role in determining who will make it on the 25-man major league roster.

In addition, the World Baseball Classic will be having some early round games in Phoenix. This is a unique opportunity to see major league players such as Mike Trout and Buster Posey represent their countries in international competition. Pool “D” games featuring the USA, Mexico, Canada and Italy will be played within blocks of the hotel at nearby Chase Field (home of the Arizona Diamondbacks).

Since many Inspire attendees are planning to come to Phoenix early or stay late to catch a game, I’ve created the Inspire Spring Training App in the Alteryx Analytics Gallery. This free application uses Alteryx Strategic Analytics to give Inspire attendees the information they need to attend Cactus League and World Baseball Classic games. Users can choose the team they want to see, and what day they want to go, and the application provides a map to the stadium where their team is playing, game and stadium information, links to buy tickets, and driving directions.

Even if you’re not planning to attend a game, the app will give you a sense of the power and potential behind the Alteryx Analytics Gallery, and how it can help your organization Humanize Big Data.

Batter Up!

Scott Jones

Sales Engineer
Alteryx

Scott Jones
Customer Success Operations Manager

I started with Alteryx in 2010 after 13 years in the wireless industry. As a former client for 3 years with a large telco, I was excited to take a role in an exciting and growing company.

I started with Alteryx in 2010 after 13 years in the wireless industry. As a former client for 3 years with a large telco, I was excited to take a role in an exciting and growing company.