Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Size of every application stored in gallery

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

Does anyone know how I can get the size of every individual application (workflow) stored in the gallery? I do not need the sum of all the applications.

6 REPLIES 6
SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

I dont know of any field in the MongoDB that lists the size of the workflow.

One possible method would be to use the API to batch through all workflows and use the /admin/v1/{appId}/package endpoint to download the packages into blobs.

You wouldn't need to save the files, but the download data column would give you the size of the downloaded package.

server.PNG

Couple caveats though.

1. You need to be an admin/curator on the server to use that endpoint and have API access.

2. Its going to package up the entire workflow, including items that may not necessarily be saved to the gallery. By that I mean a macro or template file that is only reference by UNC and not saved to the gallery with the flow will still get rounded up and placed into the package, inflating your size numbers.

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @SPetrie , 

Is it possible for you to share the workflow here.?

Regards, 

Ariharan Rengasamy

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

I hoped not to go the API route of downloading the packages to find their size. What's surprising to me is the API will package up external resources, which is not entirely helpful because I'm trying to get a more accurate number for the size of objects in the database. In particular, I want to identify users who have packaged up large data files with their workflows.

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

You could use the Alteryx Server v3 API endpoints macro that's documented here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Introducing-the-Alteryx-Server-v3-API/ba-p/899228

SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

@Ariharan An example workflow is attached. Its not fully vetted, so you may need to adjust it to fix your own needs. It uses the Alteryx Server v3 API macro for initial authentication and then a download tool for using the v1 endpoint.

@TheCoffeeDude I agree that going the API route is not ideal. I poked around using the MongoDB input tool and cant really find anything relating to the size of the apps. I dont normally play with DBs so I could just be looking in all the wrong places.

One thing I did note when using the API route is that apps\workflows with very large items associated with them will fail during download if part of a larger group of requests. They come though ok individually or if you have a throttle to limit the number of items going through the download tool per minute. Not sure if that is helpful or not :)

It may be something to bring up as an idea for future release to give an indication of app size.

I wouldnt mind easily having that info about apps and flows as well. 

SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

I may have been wrong about the API packaging up everything. I just looked at a few that I downloaded and only the main flow came with, not the network items. Still annoying, but that makes it a better option than I had previously though.