Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

SharePoint tools - Failed to Authenticate

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

We have finally (see my other post) managed to get the SharePoint tools installed on the server but now when running a sample workflow that just downloads a file, I get an error: Failed to authenticate.  

In the tool I have provided the Client ID, Secret and Tenant ID, I've not ticked the 'Use as service principal (app-only authentication) option as when I have that option checked and run the workflow, I get 'Request forbidden -- authorization will not help'.  Im wondering if I do need to check this option but that my SharePoint admins need to do something else so I dont get the forbidden error message?  Does this make sense?

7 REPLIES 7
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @craigja 

1) Do you have AMP engine enabled within Designer?

2) Are there any other users experiencing this issue?

3) Did you install the latest patch for Designer 22.1?

• Compatible with Designer 2021.4.2 Patch 4, 2022.1 Patch 2 and later

• When enabling use as service principal, does the XML AuthenicationMethod say Basic or ServicePrincipal?  (To enable XML in Designer, go to Options --> User Settings --> Edit user settings --> Advanced tab check off xml and in the tool configuration window, there should be a gear icon)

• If it says Basic, can you attempt to change it to ServicePrincipal? 

Hope this helps.

craigja
8 - Asteroid

1) Do you have AMP engine enabled within Designer?

Yes and the tool wont work without AMP enabled, it runs fine on my local install of Alteryx, this is me trying to get it running on the server

2) Are there any other users experiencing this issue?

I'm the first to attempt this, we have been using the SharePoint lists tool with no error but are now wanting to work with files on SharePoint

3) Did you install the latest patch for Designer 22.1?

We are on 2022.1 but Im not sure the patch level on the server

• Compatible with Designer 2021.4.2 Patch 4, 2022.1 Patch 2 and later

If I get the Admin to open Alteryx up on the server and open my test workflow, when clicking on the tool it is not connected, I think this is the issue. On my machine when I connect for the first time it takes me to an Azure login page, it obviously cant do this when running on the server,  The SharePoint/Azure guys are saying the app authentication has been setup as delegated as they wonder if this is the issue but I think they want this confirmed before they go and change things.  

Do I maybe need to follow this article?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-set-up-SharePoint-Sites-Sele...

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @craigja 

Yes, I would recommend following this article

I would also recommend making the following changes to your machine and the server machine.

The SharePoint Files connector is a Python-based connector, so it will require the following registry key to exist in both the end users machine as well as each worker node on the server.   

• Type regedit in Windows Start Menu 
  • Browse to the folder location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx 
  • Right click and select New > String Value 

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx 
Value Name: PythonAllowHideEncryption 
Value Data: true 

PythonAllow.png

Hope this helps. If it helps please like this post/mark it as a solution so other users can see the solution. 

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Cool, we have the Reg Key already on the server as we needed it for the SharePoint Lists tool, will hopefully get one of the admins to follow the instructions in the link 

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If the last post resolves the issue, please like the post and mark it as a solution so other community members can see it.

Cheers

levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

I'm still failing to authenticate. 
For background Using Alteryx vs 2022.3. SharePoint List tool works as expected as it has for us for a few years now. 
New version SharePoint Input 2.4.2 fails to authenticate with the same client ID and Secret that works on previous tool

the below has already been created in the registry editor but still not working 

"Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx 
Value Name: PythonAllowHideEncryption 
Value Data: true"

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I faced this issue too with SharePoint. But the solution by the Alteryx Engineer is to use V2.2, and then, when you authenticate using "Provide Client ID and Secret, and Tenant ID", untick the option directly below it called "Use as service principal (app-only authentication)" - then it works.

Try it and see - if you're not using that, I'm sure there's the option to untick that option too.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!