Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

ServerRipper - Using the Alteryx Gallery API to download workflows en masse

mtornga
6 - Meteoroid

As server admins, we sometimes get in a bind where we have just done a rollback on the server or a cutover and then a user comes out of the woodwork to request a workflow that got lost in the shuffle. We then face restoring the old backup to a lower environment to grab the workflow. This happened to my team recently and it made me want to take a more frequent backup of all of the workflows (we already back up our MongoDB daily), just in case. That is why this utility ServerRipper was created.

This utility builds on the excellent work of @patrick_digan about the Alteryx API and @jdunkerley79 on dynamic directory creation using the Run Command tool. 

End Result

After running the workflow, a hierarchy of folders is created. Within the top-level folder - I have called mine ServerWorkflowBackup - a folder is created for each Studio/Subscription e.g. Finance, Accounting, Admins. 

mtornga_0-1588002385230.png

Within each Subscription folder, a folder is created for each User. 

mtornga_1-1588002527521.png

Finally, within each user folder is a .yxzp package of every workflow and app that the user owns on the gallery.

mtornga_2-1588002658737.png

Install and Run

Download and open the file ServerRipper_community.yxzp attached. This was developed in Designer 2020.1. 

When prompted to import packages, say yes. Ignore errors and warnings on the Import Workflow Package and Workflow Dependencies popups. 

Close Designer and go back to your download location. At this location '\ServerRipper_community\yxi installer' find and install 'Alteryx API Runner.yxi'. Reopen the workflow.

Follow the rest of the instructions in the workflow.

mtornga_3-1588004094169.png

If you find that you have errors, ensure that the Cleanse tool is set up correctly, and ensure that you are a Curator in your Gallery. 

I hope that you find this simple to use and that it saves you from a headache someday. Enjoy!

27 REPLIES 27
niat_alteryx
6 - Meteoroid

Appreciate if you share that app,

I have understanding from Alteryx Server platform but learner when comes to workflow development.

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I wish I could Niat, but there is too much company specific information about the dev and prod environments to share and a mock up would not work.

The app is working in 21.4 which we are on 

The app does not work in our next version 22.3 

I had to rewrite it to use the new apis and one function, to download a workflow, is not supported in that version.

The missing function is available in 23.1 so we will skip 22.3

The app I wrote has 2 phases and uses chained apps

Phase 1

1. extracts a list of all workflows shared with a staging collection and allows developer to select one from a list
  2. downloads and parses the selected workflow, while parsing a list of standard violations is collected and changes for production is made to the xml
  3. after parsing and email is sent to developer with list of standard violations and the modified workflow is saved in a secure subdirectory we call lockers. The locker is named with the timestamp and developer network id.

Phase 2

1. The developer next requests a promotion using ServiceNow and attaches the generated email
  2. If acceptable, an admin runs a second app and provides the locker number to install the modified workflow
niat_alteryx
6 - Meteoroid

I can understand that as per company security standards, you cannot share the Prod and DEV credentials.

As mentioned, I am new to workflow development and it's hard for me to create macro or perform API call for now.And to create chained apps will take month for me.

I would appreciate if you blank or strike your company information and send me the mock app so that I can understand the flow and make use of app.

Additionaly,Our Alteryx Prod Gallery is running with 2021.4 and users asking for when to get new version.

Could you please support me on how to decide which alteryx server version is stable and can be upgraded to Prod.?

Basically what are the factors we need to see before doing upgrade.

Are you planning to go for 2023.1 version?

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I'm sorry, but I the assistance you seek would lead to more questions. If you are in a hurry, recommend you engage professional services that have experience in Alteryx chained apps and apis for an estimated two to four weeks. Even better would be to continue your learning journey and experience the thrill of solving yourself. All the methods I needed to build this was pieced together from these forums and people in the community were helpful where I struggled, but no one has the full solution you will need.

23.1 is up and stable. There are some local details that make it a challenge for my company because we are using Alteryx in some uncommon ways that may not apply to your situation.

niat_alteryx
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Team,

On running ripper workflow,it fails because fail to find execMe.Bat file.

Where this batch file is stored.?

niat_alteryx
6 - Meteoroid

My workflows fail due to missing execMe.bat responsible for creating directories.

Someone help me where to find this batch file.

HaroldR1612
5 - Atom

Hello Team,

Just try to run the workflow but it throws the following error when running it:

error ripper.png 

The Formula tool is the one that is failing, I've looked at the previous tools but didn't catch where this ID variable is created. Could you please advise? 

Thanks,