Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Interface Dropdown Not Updating

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone,

I have an analytic app that uses this first container "Directory Names" to pull folder names from a directory. Then I push that list of values into the interface dropdown tool in my "Data Input" Container.

When I run this as an app or with the regular run option in alteryx desktop the values update according to my directory results (folders added/deleted). However, when i publish this to the server, the list does not update unless i reupload my workflow to the server. I have tried adding a 10 second delay after my last step in the ""Directory Names" container (the R script), and even tried a block until done step. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Interface Dropdown.png

Thanks for the help,

Jesse

6 REPLIES 6
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JMart2135 It's an unfortunate shortcoming for the dropdown (and list box) tools. The workaround is to to split it into 2 apps, have the 1st app write out a file with 2 columns (Name and Value), chain it to your second app, and have your second app use the external source option in the dropdown to reference the output file. 

In terms of ideas to get this fixed, they should either fix this issue directly or add a new option called data from connected tool that would update at runtime.

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan thanks for the info. I will look into how to chain the apps together then. I guess that means i need to split the first part of the workflow into its own file first. then somehow call the second part of the workflow once that part is completed.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JMart2135 Yep, this interactive lesson can give you the basics of chaining apps.

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan Thanks Patrick, i found some stuff online and got it working in desktop via chained apps. However, the second app doesnt kick on when i have everything published to the server so now just looking into that part of it now

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JMart2135 It may not be possible in every situation, but I've had the most success with making everything relative; that is:

1) Have your first app write out to a relative yxdb file (ie file.yxdb no path).

2) In the "on success, run this workflow", just type in the filename (no path).

3) In your second app, have your dropdwon read the relative yxdb file.

Then everything seems to go over to the server pretty well. 

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan thanks, finally got it working. took what you let me know to do and then had to do a couple other steps to get it working. I also had to delete what i already had saved to the server, the reupload everything with the secondary app "Checked" in the assets menu. Once that got republished it worked like a charm. thanks!