Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to retrieve count of tools in each workflow in Gallery

eliberatore
7 - Meteor

I have a Gallery server with hundreds of workflows and apps.  I already have the MongoDB Input tool connected.  What collection do I connect to retrieve a tool count for each workflow/app?  I'm using this to show the complexity of some workflows compared to others.

3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @eliberatore, this information is not stored on the MongoDB. You need to download all the workflows using API calls, read them as XML and then do all the analysis you want. 

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @eliberatore 

1) You will need to use the Server APIs in order to achieve this. You will need to read them as XML. 

2) Another option you have is to use a pre-built workflow within Designer already. You will need to store all the workflows in a directory folder.

Go to help > Sample Workflows > Use Scripting and Automation Tools > Build a Macro > Identify tools and macros used in a workflow

Hope this helps.

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @eliberatore - While technically you can count the number of tools in a workflow, I think that you may need to rethink your approach based on the business outcomes that you want to achieve. The reason why I say so that the number of tools in a workflow does not illustrates it's complexity:

- A user can put most of the tools in a macro. Then the workflow may consist of one or two tools.

- If you dig into macros, the number of levels down is not limited. Also, tools like Data Cleansing are macros. btw, the Data Cleansing tool is a pretty complex macro.

- You may have containers.

- You may also have R and Python tools.