Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render Tool and SharePoint

MattBenj
9 - Comet

My company is transitioning from shared network folders to SharePoint and OneDrive so I'm working on updating workflows with the SharePoint Files Output Tool (version 2.0.1 using Client ID/Secret/Tenant ID). I have a few workflows that use the Render tool to save PDF and Word documents to a network folder, however, I'm having trouble replicating that action with SharePoint tools. The SharePoint Files Output Tool allows you to create XLSX, CSV, and YXDB and I can't find a way around those file types. Has anyone figured out a way to save a PDF or Word document to SharePoint? This workflow would be uploaded to our Gallery and run on a schedule so I need to get this working at a Gallery level (not locally on my PC).

Another use case was to create an Excel file, save it to SharePoint, then send it as an email attachment. I figured out a way around that using the SharePoint Files Output Tool and a Output Data tool to a temporary location. I tried thinking along these same lines but didn't get anywhere.

MichMatt_1-1651776294580.png

6 REPLIES 6
MattBenj
9 - Comet

If you are new to SharePoint too I've got another post with an answer here: Solved: Replicating Dynamic Input with SharePoint Files In... - Alteryx Community

MeganBowers
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @MattBenj,

The way I have written PDFs from Alteryx to SharePoint in the past is by syncing the SP folder (where I want to write the PDF) to my local computer. Here is the Microsoft doc on how to sync a folder: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-sharepoint-files-and-folders-87a96948-4dd7-43e4-aca1...

Then, for the output path in the render tool, you can point to the new synced folder on your local computer, and once the files are written, they will be auto-synced to SharePoint.

Hope this helps!

Megan

MattBenj
9 - Comet

Thanks for the suggestion @MeganBowers, this will be useful for my user who have to attach a file from SharePoint when they run an Analytics App. In this scenario it looks like I missed a detail in my description. This scenario would require me to upload the workflow to our Gallery and schedule it to run. Would this approach work as an analytics app on the Gallery?

MeganBowers
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@MattBenj sorry, the workaround I suggested would only work on your local computer. If it is going to be published to the Gallery, I believe you will have to stick to the file type limitations of the SharePoint output tool.  I see it is a suggestion for improvement that has been responded to here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/PDF-as-an-output-option-for-SharePoint-Files...

One other idea would be to have the PDFs write to the default location and then use a run tool with a batch script at the end to copy them over... just a thought, have not tried it before.

JGHOLLAND
7 - Meteor

Hello - just checking in to see if there is a way to use the render tool (PDF) and output to sharepoint tool together on the gallery....

Matt, I hope your problem was resolved :) 

MattBenj
9 - Comet

@JGHOLLAND I haven't checked on this in a while, however, based on the ideas page It doesn't look like it has been completed.

PDF as an output option for SharePoint Files Outpu... - Alteryx Community

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels