Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained App: App2 does not run upon success of App1

LD
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I am testing the chained app process with 2 apps for the 1st time.

Although I have set up the interface designer to run App2 upon success of App1, App2 does not get started.

The 2 apps are open, and I receive the confirmation that app1 was successfully run, but that is it.

for the sake of the testing, I am using 2 very simple apps, which are not related (output of app1 is not an input of App2). Is that an issue ?

thanks for any idea!

7 REPLIES 7
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @LD,

If you have already configured your interface designer as such, then try closing App2 before running App1 and see if it launches it.

ggruccio_0-1589995183152.png

LD
7 - Meteor

hi @ggruccio 

yes, thank you, that is indeed how I have configured App1 interface designer. 

I have followed your suggestion, with the same result. 

I have even closed Alteryx and tried to open the apps again... but it won't work either 😞

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Got it!

And when you say you are running the App I assume you are using the "Run as Analytic App" button? 

The app will run using the Run button as well...just trying to rule things out!

ggruccio_0-1589997932669.png

LD
7 - Meteor

oh, no, I was pressing the "run" button... I have missed that specific detail in all the articles I have read, thank you!

Now, if I may ask a follow-up question: this App2 doesn't require any configuration. So, is there a way to skip the "questions" window and have it run right away ?

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

That I'm not sure of...often the advantage of having a chained app is to have additional user input...sometimes it references the first app - (i.e. a person chooses a state in app1, then chooses a zipcode within that state in app2).

Technically you may be better off incorporating app2 into app1 if you just simply want them to seamlessly....but I definitely get what you are trying to do.

LD
7 - Meteor

sure, I see the point of "pausing" the sequence to get user's input. in my case we have multiple complex workflows, which are easier to manage separately - but it would be handy to have them run automatically one after the other.

Thanks for the insights anyway!

LD
7 - Meteor

Hi, to close the topic -  this link provided by Alteryx Support has helped me:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/3857...

With Desktop Designer, the solution for running a sequence of multiple workflows which do not require intermediate user inputs seems to be the use of the Runner and Conditional Runner Crew Macros.

And that indeed works smoothly (workflows do not need to be apps, and can remain normal workflows).

It is a pity that such macros aren't just part of the OOB Alteryx tools.

thanks @ggruccio anyway for the initial useful answer.

Labels