Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

grabbing text between odd punctuation

parria1
8 - Asteroid

I have a field called filename that alteryx created when i used the Read all Excel files macro to read files from a directory. below is an example of that field.

C:\Users\ME\Desktop\Group\Appledore Physicians NH.xlsx|||`Appledore Phys NH$`

I am trying to parse out Appledore Phys NH and cannot figure it out. I have tried all the RegEX Parse formulas to get text between commas and other punctuation such as brackets and just replace the punctuation in the example with the ` symbol but i cannot get anything to work.

alternatively i could just grab the sheet name from  each Excel file and use that to create a list name field but not sure how to go about that either.

3 REPLIES 3
bpatel
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @parria1 ,

what if you tried something like this? using the text to columns to parse out sheet names and data cleansing to remove punctuation 

bpatel_0-1595621594888.png

hope this helps!

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @parria1, you could use a combination of functions within the Formula tool to strip out the specific text you are looking for. 

TrimRight(
  TrimLeft(
    Right([Field1],
        Length([Field1])-STRCSPN([Field1],'|||')
        )
  ,"|||'")
,"$'")

In the formula above, I use STRCPN function to identify the position from which I want to strip the sheet name using the identified |||. From there using a combination of Right and Trim function I arrive at the final result. Attached is a sample implementation for you to build upon.

AbhilashR_0-1595621814416.png

I hope this helps!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The problem with the regex is the `   ` around the sheet name. They look very similar to ' ', but they're different.

So this regex correctly parses the sheet name

.+\|\|\|`(.+)\$

DavidP_0-1595624981077.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels