Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

dynamic input tool returns error because input files have different schema (field lengh)

cinm
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Support,

I am trying to read in excel data files using Dynamic data tool in AlteryX. At some point I have had an error message "Dynamic Input (21) The file \... has a different schema than the 1st file in the set.", because Alteryx is not recognizing one of files and it is different than template file used in Dynamic data tool. I have done a little investigation and after reading in each file apart using input file tool it appeard that probably the reason is that for one of files one of fields (called "Email Address") has beed read in as V_String and in next file as V_WString. Could it be the reason why of of those files is skipped when reading in in dynamic input tool? The requirement is that we have to handle many files of this kind, so it should be automated in one tool, not separately (where I can change then format to join files being already read into AlteryX designer). The data file is email address, so I assume that it can vary very much in each file.
As I suppose an email field is containing a character which can be only stored in field V_WString in one file used as a source and it does not contains such a character in second file used as source, so that AlteryX decided to use V_String format.
My idea is to assingn format somehow before dynamic input tool starts reading in and to wider format so that all files uses it (then I expect there will be no error message), but I do not know how to do it. Do you know the way I should handle this problem?

The solution is to add new dynamic input tool with new template for file which needs V_WString format, but this is not a solution in case it should work automatically.

Or my thinking is wrong and there is something else which I do not see?

Of course I cannot share with you raw data files, because of data protection laws.

I am looking forward for hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Marcin Maleszewski

1 REPLY 1
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @cinm - You can read files with a different schema using a batch macro. Here is an article that describes how: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels