Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

check table exists before select to prevent error

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

Hi! I'm seeking a way to check if a table exists in Oracle within the Alteryx Input tool. If the table exists, I aim to extract its data. Conversely, if it's absent, I intend to generate a field labeled "exists" containing the value 0.

Is this achievable? If not, selecting from a table, like 'xref_teachers,' in the event of its nonexistence would lead to an error. My primary goal is to append the pre-existing data from the table, if available,  with the contents of a spreadsheet into the final result. As you see, this would work if the table already exists. In my workflow, it does not - so i would want to skip it over and not generate an error (i could filter out if a field called exists contains a 0.;

I provided a screenshot to further clarify what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks so much!

1 REPLY 1
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

I've done this with other databases, but not in oracle, but if you're able to query the info_schema table/views (or equivalent in Oracle) have your initial input return a list of all the tables in the target DB.SCHEMA that you can then create logic that would ultimately create a SQL Statement that you can push into a Dynamic Input tool that will query the intended table if it exists or a fallback table if it doesn't.

From doing a quick Google search, it does look like you can query a VIEW to get a table list, but may require specific permissions to do so. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels