Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow to Send Personalized Emails

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Morning,
I want to create a work flow that automatically sends a personalized email to a manager that notes the name of the employee, what office the employee checked into and the number of times the employee has checked into that office during a specific week. I want the manager to receive one email per employee. The email would come from a shared mailbox, "Supernatural@supernaturaltv.com"

See attached sample data.

Ideally, I want the email to have a basic format of the following:

"Dear <Manager>,

Your employee, <Employee Name>, checked into the <Office Building> office, <# of Check-ins> during the week of <Week>."

We would modify the Week depending on which week we want to report out on.

If looking at the week of February 6 - February 10, based on the attached data, Dean Winchester (Manager), should receive one email regarding Meg Masters (Employee), noting that Meg checked into the Dallas office 4 times during the week of February 6. Dean Winchester would also receive a separate email regarding Jack Kline, that Jack checked into the Boston office 2 times during the week of February 6.

I'm aware of how to set-up a workflow to send a general email, but not personalized emails. What's the best way to pull something like this together? Any assistance/guidance would be helpful.

5 REPLIES 5
BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@edmund_belleza you can feed that data into a Report Text under 'Reporting'.  From there, you can create the body of your email and the fields per record will be under the 'Available Fields' dropdown.

BonusCup_0-1678804910546.png

Using your script I was able to create this output.  I highlighted your example using Dean Winchester and Meg Masters.

BonusCup_1-1678805004116.png

Out of the Report Text that should go into the Email tool.  Configure that to your SMTP and then you can enter 'Supernatural@supernaturaltv.com' in the From field and then select the Manger Email in the To field.  For the Body, select the name of the Report Text tool.

BonusCup_2-1678805202380.png

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Thanks @BonusCup! I appreciate the quick response. I was able to adapt your proposed solution to my workflow. It took a little finagling but I think i have it working now.

Thank you!!!!

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

@BonusCup, i wanted to follow-up. hope you can still help.  In chatting with my client, instead of individual emails for each manager/employee combination, they are asking if we could send one email to each manager listing the Employee Name / Office Building / Week / # of Check-Ins in a table format within the body of the email. How would/could I best adapt the workflow? 

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@edmund_belleza ,

In that case, Table tool would come in handy.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1679011334555.png

Table Tool Configuration

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1679011397750.png

You need Layout tool to put the text and the table together, and then use the Layout in Email tool.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1679011513812.png

As the Report tools have many params, you may want to play around until you are comfortable with the appearance of the output.

Good luck.

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

@Yoshiro_Fujimori , thank you for taking the time to respond to my follow-up inquiry. I was able to incorporate and successfully implement your recommendation with my test Workflow. I'm planning to meet with a colleague in the next day or so to implement in our main workflow. Much appreciate your help!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels