Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Why I should have at least storage of 500 GB to install Alteryx?

Hagar-Usama
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Based on the requirments mentioned here, I have to have at least 500 GB storage to install Alterx. But why? my data doesn't even take too much?

Any specific reason for this?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
jbravman_
8 - Asteroid

Temp data / processing data space / always good to have extra storage than you need. 

Plus storage is cheap these days - you can easily upgrade a laptop top to a 1TB nvme m2 for $50... Desktop even cheaper. 

You shouldn't try to run Alteryx on a potato anyways - its a power hungry tool. my 256gb laptop was sluggish with alteryx - upgraded the RAM and storage... working much better. Newer CPU would have made it even faster. 

My desktop which has 4TB of space, 64gb RAM and ryzen 9 works so much better than the laptop. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Alteryx processes in-memory - and your storage is really based on what you need. I think Alteryx would be fine on a 250gb machine - if the machine had 32gb of ram - but for a short hand listing the required storage as 500gb seems like an easier way to assure that ram requirements will be met. I'd rather run Alteryx on a machine with a 150gb hard drive and 32gb of ram (assuming newtork storage and good network speeds) - then on a machine with a 1tb hard drive and 8gb of ram.

Hagar-Usama
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jbravman_ ,

I wonder what kind of data were you working on? I mean my data didn't actually exceed 50 MB, so having 250 GB of SSD storage and 24 GB of ram does make sense for my case. What do you think?

Raj
16 - Nebula
  • Alteryx performance benefits from having a minimum of 500 GB storage.
  • Additional storage is recommended for temporary and processing data.
  • Alteryx is resource-intensive; insufficient storage can lead to sluggish performance.

it is suggested to have a 500 GB machine but you can install it in lower configurations as well

hope this help.

Hagar-Usama
8 - Asteroid

Hi @apathetichell,

I see, I guess my 250 GB of SSD + 24 GB of memory seems enough to my little dataset (< 50 MB). I even don't notice a significant consumption to SSD, actually it didn't exceed 5% of the consumption. And memory - would take about 15 GB. For CPU, which is core i7, I see 80% of it was utilized.

Even though, I notice a freeze from nothing, like dragging a tool (task manager showing  no considerable consumption - if any -  of SSD, memory, or CPU)

Labels