Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using report table tool to highlight column then output it into excel

Travis_Ratliff
8 - Asteroid

I have attached a sample workflow. 

What this does is filters the data for Jacks because we do not want it to continue with the rest of the data it then adds a count field in the case of their not being a "Jacks" which there isn't in the workflow. Then adds in the fullpath to tell the Output Data tool where to create the Excel workbook with the data. What I would like to do is use the report table tool to highlight the column "Customer" because that is what we are filtering out. However, the problem I am running into is where to add in the report tool because currently it is messing up the Output Data tool.

Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Travis_Ratliff when you want to Output the results of reporting snippets, you need to use the Render tool. Much like the Output Data tool, we just have to choose an output location and filetype etc:

DataNath_0-1664292796696.png

Then when we run the workflow we get the following:

DataNath_1-1664292816047.png

Amended workflow attached. Please let us know if you need any further help!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Travis_Ratliff you would need to use the Render tool rather than the Output Data tools when using the Reporting tools to produce a output. You can render a excel file though. 

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@Travis_Ratliff 

Use render tool instead of output tool.

Emmanuel_G_0-1664292948276.png

Travis_Ratliff
8 - Asteroid

I have never used the render tool can I do the same things with it as the Output Tool? Such as can I rename each worksheet, add a dynamic date to the workbook name, and if I have multiple of them will they all write to the same workbook?

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Travis_Ratliff yes, you can do this but it takes a little more configuration to do so. For the filename part with the date changing dynamically, you just want to set up a field that will create this, that you can then append on at the end:

DataNath_0-1664295513074.png

DataNath_1-1664295531191.png

For the sheet names, you'll want to use grouping, which you need to do throughout - first within the Table tool, then you reference this in the Layout tool as the grouping of records and what each section should be called:

DataNath_3-1664295600754.png

DataNath_2-1664295590276.png

Finally, you'll Render from the output of your Layout tool, appending the dynamic date field, which will give this:

DataNath_4-1664295650579.png

Amended workflow attached. Reporting tools can take a little while to get your head around but there's some great interactive lessons available right here on the community site that break down and explain them all: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Reporting%...

Labels