Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unique values from 200+ columns

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

I have a database containing 200+ columns and I need to find unique values for each column and compile into an excel file columnwise. However adding summarise tool to every column and then unique tool is too manual because i have many such databases too.
Any way I can make a batch or iterative macro to automate this process? 

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@omkarshinde 
Combination of Transpose and Cross Tab is alway good for the processing data of Multiple Columns.

Here is a quick sample and hope it will work for your case.

0502-omkarshinde.png

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu Thanks for this approach however problem with this is manually again renaming all the columns any way we can avoid that?

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@omkarshinde 
Can you give more details about the "Renaming"?

Maybe a sample data would do. 😁

apathetichell
19 - Altair

transpose the columns you want -> summarize with group by name/value. group by will automatically give you the distinct/unique values.

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu @apathetichell  no problem with renaming actually it worked thanks
however now i have several empty cells in final output and I used https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/How-to-delete-empty-cells-from... to remove them however i am losing out on columns which are entirely empty too which i wish to retain any idea how to do that?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey - can you share some samples? I'd recommend using summarize in max mode or using a multi-field formula to force convert values. 

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid
apathetichell
19 - Altair

please provide an excel before and after

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels