Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Text to columns

Kingazawora
8 - Asteroid

Hello I have a file, which is txt file. The issue if that I would like to read the latest file from the folder and have it done as text to columns.

It was always done in Excel and I wanted to follow the same logic in Alteryx but the issue if that Alteryx moved rows to left when I load that to Alteryx:

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Is there a quick way to solve the following:

1. I want the process to choose the latest file from folder

2. I use the dynamic input tool 

3. Choose tools to make text to columns  based on defined headers - self described

4 REPLIES 4
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

hey @Kingazawora 

See solution attached using a combination of directory + dynamic input and dynamic rename to get your data parsed. You just need to replace the folder path in the directory tool and edit dynamic input to provide a template file. Including a screenshot of the dynamic input configs below.

gautiergodard_0-1667070115955.png

gautiergodard_1-1667070215982.png

Hope this helps!

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

I tried this differently.  Seems like there were special characters in the file so I tried stripping them and then used a File\Field layout.

TimN_0-1667083606277.png

Kingazawora
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks! Works!

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

@Kingazawora kindly accept the solution(s) which helped you to make it easier for others with similar issues to find the answer on the future !

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels