Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text To Columns changed data from long dash to hyphen

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hello,

After the Text To Columns function was performed, one of the records got changed from "LA (–) 50%" to "LA (-) 50%". Then, it does not join with the record from the other set of the report. Both input data files are in the same file format xlsx. I don't want to use Replace to change the hyphen back to the long dash for this record as I have other records that contain hyphen. Does anyone know how to correct this one record back to "LA (–) 50%"?

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @gc-804 

Can you elaborate more on whether the col that contains this value was used in Text to Col or not? It will be great if you can share a sample workflow so we can better understand the problem. Cheers!

FilipR
11 - Bolide

I would personally unify all (-) and (–) in both inputs before doing the joins.

Can you please provide the example where Text To Columns behaves that way? Maybe the (–) it changes is actually a completely different symbol than usual?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @gc-804,

The easiest way to convert - to – is with the replace function like this:

IraWatt_1-1657180888784.png

You may need something more advanced as it changes all little dashes in that column to –.

IraWatt_0-1657180752338.png

I tried to replicate your issue. I don't think its the text to column tool unless your doing something different?

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Thank you all for your replies!

My work flow has input/out configuration for Gallery. When I created a simple file input without that configuration and connected directly to Text To Columns, it did not change the long dash to the short dash. So, IraWatt is correct - the issue is not with the text to column tool. I will use "LA (-) 50%" in the replacement function instead of "-". So, it will not change other records that have and need "-".

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels