Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Solution (in Progress) - Workflow to find all Datasources & Outputs

NikBarter
8 - Asteroid

Thought I would share something that I had been working on for a while.

It's designed to find all the inputs and outputs for both Alteryx Workflows and Tableau Reports. It still needs a little work, but it's great if you ever have asked yourself the questions "which workflow did I use to create that file - and where did I save it?"

It can also be used to identify potential issues if databases change - columns dropped for example - then you can work out which workflows may fail and then which (tableau) reports may fail.

Basically it goes through the xml of the workflows/workbooks and finds everything that should be an input or output. There's a few things I'd like to finish, but it's almost there.

I did output into a spreadsheet and it's incredibly useful to find workflows.

2 REPLIES 2
afellows
8 - Asteroid

Hi Nik, could you explain what is happening with the dynamic input? It has your path listed and it works, but if I change it to anything else I can't get it to run. 

NikBarter
8 - Asteroid

Apologies for the late reply

The dynamic inputs can be any Alteryx or Tableau workbook and read it in as a fixed width file. They are essentially read in as one column xml files

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels