Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Saving output .XLSX on SP site vs Parallel Block Until Done

magdaemem
7 - Meteor

Hello Everyone - I spent last 2 days trying to resolve my issue and searched multiple Community topics but unfortunately did not find the answer. 

I am running a workflow which creates one XLSX output file with 3 different sheets inside (1, 2,3) - I attached the screenshot. I am using Parallel block until done to make sure sheets are being saved down in the correct order. It all works perfectly when output file is saved down on a shared drive but when I set it up to save down output on SP site there is an error when 3rd sheet is being saved down. Apparently it looks like there is a small delay between Sheet1 and Sheet2 but not enough delay between Sheet2 and  Sheet3. Designer cannot open file to write Sheet3 because it appears file was not closed yet after saving down Sheet2. 

Wait a second macro doesn't work as Sheet3 has 22k records so the wait time would be way too long, I tried Throttle as well but it doesn't seem to be delaying the last output sheet execution, only limiting number of records being processed. 

Error text below:

Output Data (148) Unable to open file for write: <Sharepoint Path>: This file is checked out or locked for editing by another user. (220)

Did anyone have similar issue? Would you be able to help me please to find a solution?  

12 REPLIES 12
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

According to this post, it seems to work on Server as well.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Run-Command-on-Server-using-externals-1/...

But I don't know much about SharePoint.

magdaemem
7 - Meteor

Thank you both AkimasaKajitani and messi007 for providing me with some ideas. Actually I investigated it a bit more and it turns out it is really a Sharepoint problem - it locks the file for approx. 15 minutes after editing it so that is why it crashes when the 3rd output is being saved down. The sequence of events is Save down the file with Sheet1, close, open, Edit by adding Sheet2, close (lock) and then the problem starts. So no matter what I would do with Alteryx tools before outputs -  it wouldn't work. 

Fortunately it currently works perfectly with Shared Drives so I will need to stick to this solution and use inputs/outputs from/to SD when uploading workflow to Alteryx Server. 

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Error-writing-Excel-file-to-Shared-Drive

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
Labels