Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running Workflows in Sequence

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

My workflow consists of 3 different workflows which are separated by containers. Right now, I can run the workflow by closing containers and running the workflow 3 different times, but I was wondering if there is a one run approach to this. I do not want to have them saved separately as I do not want to increase the number of alteryx files for doing 1 job.

My workflow can be summarized like this: This first container makes a copy of an existing template. The second container does a few analyses and pastes the results to the copied template. The third container renames the copy with today's date. As you can see the workflow needs to run in sequence to get the expected outcome. I have posted a screenshot of the workflow for reference.

I have seen a few other posts asking for help regarding the same topic but I have seen a few solutions being suggested like list runners, chained app. I wanted to know what the best option worth exploring for my use case scenario.

I would really like some guidance on how to go about this. 

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
alberto_herni
9 - Comet

Hi @Nithinpanicker,

Here is my proposed solution to the orchestration problem you presented.

1. Drag a text input that contains all workflow inputs folder paths + file specifications 

2. Create a macro to make the 'Directory' tool dynamic

3. Use the 'Block Until Done' tool to control the sequential execution of your workflow containers

I have attached a couple of pictures with the dynamic directory macro + the workflow orchestration example. Alternatively to the macro you can test to use the 'Dynamic Input' tool, depending on your file input strategy it could provide you same functionality as dynamic dyrectory macro.

Best Regards,

Alberto

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @alberto_herni,

Thank you for your time. I apologize but I am not well versed with macro as I am still a novice user. So, I was not able to understand some of the tools shown in the pictures you posted. However, I was able to achieve this using the conditional runner from the Crew Macros pack,

Regards,

Nithin

jschroeder
7 - Meteor

Another option is to download CREW macros from:  http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html  .  Use the list runner tool.  You will need to create 3-workflows but they will run in sequential order. 

Labels