Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reporting - Table Not aligned when Starts with Null

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

Attached a sample Workflow .

In my output I want to Display only the four columns as below.

Record ID  COL1  X  Y

If I remove the Record ID from the 2nd table then my table is not aligned properly.

Any thoughts around this on how to fix this.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
KGT
11 - Bolide

But you definitely want 2 separate tables?

You can join your data first and then create the table to get the list you are after. Otherwise, replace your Nulls with something and then generate so that the Null rows are not removed.

suby
11 - Bolide

I don't want to Replace NULLS with something else.

For Row 1 & Row 4 I wanted the Column X & Y always to be blank becoz that's the layout I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks

CoG
13 - Pulsar

The issue you are experiencing is not that the rows are being removed but that Alteryx renders the tables with text wrapping. Null and several of its counterparts (e.g. empty string "", breakable space " ", etc.) have no associated height, causing the row to collapse (not disappear).

To resolve the issue you are having, you can use the Render Tool and output to excel where cells have fixed height, or replace nulls with non-collapsing character like no-break space U+00A0, or CharFromInt(160) in Alteryx:

IIF(IsNull([X]),CharFromInt(160),[X])

Repeat for [Y].

Multi Field Formula Tool could also be used if more fields are involved.

I have a similar discomfort as @KGT , There are likely better ways to accomplish what you are trying to do to achieve a certain output format than break up a perfectly good table and re-glue it together. If you can share more details about your actual use-case, more assistance can be provided. But hopefully you better understand the issue you are having.

Hope this helps and Happy Solving. 

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@suby 

image.png

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Binuacs,

Thanks but I wanted in the output in this format that's the reason I split in the data in two streams using the select tool.

can we achieve this result.

output.PNG

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi AndrewDMerrill,

Thanks for the detail explanation

The solution works  when I changed the null rows using the below formula.

IIF(IsNull([X]),CharFromInt(160),[X])

But could you please explain how to do the other way using 

replace nulls with non-collapsing character like no-break space U+00A0

Thanks 

CoG
13 - Pulsar

The CharFromInt(160) is the no-break space character. '00A0' in hex = 160 in base 10

Glad to be helpful!

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@suby 

image.png

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi AndreDMerrill,

When I use  the below formula  for the string Data type column this makes the column Null

IF(IsNull([X]),CharFromInt(160),[X])

But In my case there are other fields with Data type Int64 and Double 

when I add the above formula for those Int64 and Double Data type column I get the below error

Error The formula resulted in a string but the field is numeric Use To Number.

Say if am not updating the Data type Int64 and Double columns with your formula then I am getting this in my output report but it works ok for string fields.

Any thoughts.

CharfromInt.PNG

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels