Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove all 2 character "words" in a cell

taxhead
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

tried already several ideas but my knowledge with Regex_Replace is limited.

I have a dataset with various columns. The "Name" column includes e.g. the full name of a bank (e.g. Branch of the Bank of Russia). I want to remove all this 2 character words (in this case "of"). Additionally, my data consists of a lot of cyrillic entries which makes it even more complicated. I don't know how to created the Regex_Replace formula or is there an other way for this problem?

Thanks in advance 

11 REPLIES 11
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@taxhead one way to remove all the 2 chars words

binuacs_0-1647865901281.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@taxhead for you additional requirement can you provide some sample data and expected output?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @taxhead ,

I've built a bit of Regex that handles this by determining from the beginning of the word, two characters to the space, or to the end of a line.

The Regex is as follows:

(\<\u{2})\s|(\<\u{2})$

The results are:

mceleavey_0-1647866030618.png

mceleavey_1-1647866060450.png

I hope this helps,

M

Bulien

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I would use the RegEx tool itself, with "Replace" as the function.  Although the REGEX_Replace formula is perfectly valid as well.

Either way, your example is very specific, so I will answer very specifically.  If you want to remove any "word" of the form "letter,letter,space", then a RegEx for this in Alteryx is \b[[:alpha:]][[:alpha:]]\s\b

Starting from the innards, the [[:alpha:]] represents any alpha character (letter).  So there are 2 right next to each other (for 2 letters next to each other).  Then there's the \s which represents a space after (so you're not left with a double space after removal of the word).  Then the \b just tells it that it's a word boundry.   So you're saying "any 2-letter word with a space after it" and replace it with nothing.

taxhead
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the quick responses!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hmm....I honestly do not know.  I have zero experience with non-English characters.

taxhead
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the quick responses!

I tried it but it doesn't work with all cyrillic characters. I attach some samples below, AK is removed but e.g. ЕБ is still there. Do I have first to remove all special characters (like "" or ())?

taxhead_0-1647867812004.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@taxhead ,

can you provide the data rather than an image?

M.

Bulien

taxhead
6 - Meteoroid

Attached a sample of the data

Labels