Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Refreshing Tableau dashboard every time ALTERYX workflow is run

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

I want my tableau dashboard to automatically refresh its data everytime my alteryx workflow is run without me having to manually refresh the extract and map the hyper file each time.
How do I go about this?
My alteryx workflow will be in designer desktop not on server and similarly for the tableau file it will be locally stored on desktop not on online/public/server.
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks & Regards!

12 REPLIES 12
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

save the tableau as a twb, that should do the trick

Raj
15 - Aurora

@omkarshinde 
1.you will require to get output in .hyper file which is tableau format
2.build your tableau dashboard using the . hyper file
3. you will be adding the command prompt tool to refresh the dashboard. 

this is a raw outline to the process needed to be followed.

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@Raj How about the publish to tableau server connector inbuilt tool in Alteryx?
to use that my tableau dashboard needs to be published on server?

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@aatalai data source in tableau should be live or extract?

Raj
15 - Aurora

@omkarshinde yes to use that your tableau dashboard should be on server 

as per best of my knowledge.

mmichaelson
8 - Asteroid

@omkarshinde I've done this within our organization.

Here are the steps:

1.) Download the Tableau Output tool from the Alteryx Marketplace: https://marketplace.alteryx.com/en-US/apps/417931/tableau-tools

2.) Install the Tableau Output tool by opening Alteryx Designer, then opening the Tableau Output YXI installation file from within Designer.  Depending on your org and permissions, you may need to have an admin do this for you.

3.) Build your workflow using the Tableau Output tool.  To configure the tool, follow the instructions found here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/designer/tools/connectors/tableau-output-tool.html#idm4494950525...

Based on your post, here are some additional thoughts:

• Do not use the Publish to Tableau Server tool; this tool has been deprecated by Alteryx.
  • When downloading the Tableau Output tool from the Alteryx Marketplace, make sure you download the correct version based on the version of Alteryx Designer you are using (this is explained on the Download page on Marketplace).
  • When configuring the Tableau Output tool in your workflow:
    • Check the Local Output box. This will allow you to write the .hyper file to your local PC to meet your needs.
    • Without knowing anything about your dataset, I recommend making it an extract - not a live connection.  This will ensure the best performance within Tableau.
    • On the Options tab, select Create for your Output Option, then run your workflow.  This will create the .hyper file if it doesn't already exist.  If it already exists, you can select Overwrite.

Hope this helps!

dwstada
11 - Bolide

the .hyper file needs to be a live connection. This basically means it automatically refreshes when you open the file. If you use extract then you need to refresh the extract on every new Alteryx run.

Be aware that you can't have the Tableau file open while updating the .hyper file with Alteryx when live connecting to it.

mmichaelson
8 - Asteroid

@dwstada - Sorry I misspoke, you are correct.  Thank you for clarifying.

omkarshinde
8 - Asteroid

@dwstada i had kept the tableau file closed still the data never seems to update on its own even after being a live connection which i believe is due to tableau using its cache version of data

Labels