Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Path-like string for batch command created via Formula gets escaped twice

davidemarcantoni
5 - Atom

I need to run the copy MSDOS command using the Run Command tool. Since both arguments are path objects, I need to escape them using the double quotes. To do that, I use the following Formula:

'copy /Y "' + [Source] + '" "' + [Destination] + '"'

On the output of the formula, I correctly see copy /Y "C:\...\..." "C:\---\---"

However, when I take a look at the batch file that is created on the hard drive, I see the following

Command

"copy /Y ""C:\...\...\"" ""C:\---\---\"""

As you can see, there are extra double quotes pairs which are enclosing the whole command, the source and destination paths. I have no idea why they are created.

I also tried the following

'copy /Y ' +'"'+[Source] + '"'+" "+ '"' + [Destination]+'"'

with equal effects.

The only thing that works is having no escaping, thus

"copy /Y " + [Source] + " "+ [Destination]

which produces

Command

copy /Y C:\...\...\ C:\---\---\

which, again, works but may not always do so.

I am currently on version 2021.4 and Windows 11.

EDIT: Following @mbarone suggestion, I have added colors to single and double quotes to better read the thread.

7 REPLIES 7
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Gets tricky with the single vs. double quotes.

Here's my formula that works fine (single=blue; double=red).  Here, I'm copying a log file from it's orig location (created path by formula) on the Server to a Destination folder (also created path by formula).

'copy "'+[Orig_Log_Path]+'" "'+[Destination_Folder]+'"'

davidemarcantoni
5 - Atom

'copy /Y "' + [Source] + '" "' + [Destination] + '"'

That was my original formula, as mentioned in my post. 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

It's hard to distinguish in your post which quotes are which with them being the same color . . . 

What's your output tool (or your Write Source Output Template in the Run Command Tool) look like?  Make sure it's like this:

2022-03-23 09_32_02-Alteryx Designer x64 - Log_Extraction.yxwz.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @davidemarcantoni 

Similar to @mbarone, I usually set it up like this to avoid dealing with the quote configurations (Flat ASCII vs CSV). Haven't ran into any issues like you describe.

Luke_C_0-1648042786932.png

davidemarcantoni
5 - Atom

The output file was configured incorrectely! I left the "Quote output fields" to "Automatic" by mistake.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Nice one @Luke_C  - never thought to do it as Flat!  Saves some extra config overrides!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Glad you got it sorted out @davidemarcantoni !

Labels