Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing Comma Separated Values Within in a Single Column Based on a Separate Count

brichey
5 - Atom

Hello all, I've been struggling with parsing some comma seperated values within columns imported to alteryx from a csv. The data pertains to a messaging site my company uses, and we want to know how many times different emojis are attached to messages within the messaging platfrom. So I have a table filled with data similar to the following row (ex) :

count                              

countemojiuserID
5,1,2tada,clap,sparkles1,2,3,4,5,1,1,6

That applies to one message. Somebody must have done something good....

So what this is saying is:

• 5 people used a 'tada' and their userIDs were 1,2,3,4,5
  • 1 person used a 'clap' and their userID was 1
  • 2 people used a 'sparkle' and their userIDs were 1,6

How I tried to approach this project: 

• I used the 'Text to Columns' parsing tool and selected to split to rows rather than columns.
  • This worked well for the 'count' and 'emojis' columns, but not the 'userID' column.
    • As I'm sure you all have figured out by now, the parsing tool created rows for each of the userIDs... not what I wanted. 

I am wondering if there is a way/ tool in alteryx that can be used to parse the userID column so that it creates a new row with (for example) the 5 userIDs who attached a 'tada' to a particular message, rather than a different row for each listed id # in the userID column. So, ideally my final output for the above example would appear as: 

countemojiuserID
5tada1,2,3,4,5
1clap1
2sparkles1,6

Thanks in advance for  the help! 

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@brichey,

The answer to your question is: YES!

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 5.58.42 PM.png

Granted that I didn't preserve the order of the input {tada, clap, sparkles}, but that is doable too (must remember the original order of the emojis).  I also included a RecordID as I assumed that you need to do this for more than just one incoming record.

I suppose that the next question you might ask is:  How do I ..... ?

This was a fun puzzle to solve.  I solved it by parsing the data just as you recommended.  I put an emojiID after the 3 emoji counts (can be any #) and put an emojiID after each emoji.  I then generated rows so that I could create the right number of rows for each emoji/count.  I then had 8 rows of data and joined them by record position with the 8 userids.  I used a summarize tool to create your desired output.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 6.08.01 PM.png

The attached workflow gives you all the details. 

I'm interested in seeing how others approach this problem.  Hopefully I didn't miss an easier solution.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

For @MarqueeCrew another similar approach.

I used a transpose to join count and emoji. After which split to rows on the , then pair the emoji to the count.

Then it is similar to Mark's process generate some rows, add a record id to and join to a split set of user ID

2016-06-29_09-08-38.jpg

Now if I am allowed to use my formula library (https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxFormulaAddOns/releases/tag/v1.1) and the split function all becomes a lot easier:

2016-06-29_09-24-48.jpg

The dynamic regex part is fun (extracts the part of UserId I need without splitting :))

Both attached as 10.0 files.

James

brichey
5 - Atom

thanks a lot! This really helped!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels