Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overlay Tool Examples

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Can anyone provide me a simple yet working example of a chart with text overlaid onto it in the top center? That looks something like this 

joshuaburkhow_0-1623233544512.png

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @joshuaburkhow 

You can use report text tool (center align the text) and attach it above the chart in text tool configuration to get the above output.

Hope this helps 🙂

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @joshuaburkhow ,

the overlay tool is a festering rats nest of pixel carnage. In a nice way.

I've attached an example, which uses the positional overlay and the section padding at the bottom.

I would like to introduce you to Mr. Trial and Mrs. Error.

mceleavey_0-1623235431727.png

M.

Bulien

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @joshuaburkhow 

You can add a title directly in the Interactive Chart Tool. When configuring your chart, navigate to Style --> Chart, and at the bottom you'll see a section for title. The options for formatting your text are limited, but you can edit your text in HTML to change font size, color, etc. 

See the example below where I added a title to the chart and changed the color/size/weight of the font. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1623272287187.png

I've attached a sample workflow using the same data from @mceleavey's example.

Thanks!

Phil

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

To be clear, the state of "Too Much Josh" is entirely theoretical at this point. 

Bulien

wildflower
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey - would you know if there is a limitation to the size of the output produced by the Overlay tool? For instance, the Render tool hangs on producing a PDF with 120+ pages; it performs fine with smaller outputs of 10 or so pages. Removing the Report Text and Overlay tools takes my workflow around 1 minute to complete and produces the 121 pages fine.  With these two tools, it hangs out for over 1.5 hours and I end up cancelling the run. I want to add a Watermark when the workflow is in testing phase but haven't gotten past this. 

Render tool struggles to produce high volume PDF:

wildflower_0-1654017430521.png

I also want to know is there a way to repeat the Text on each page vs just the last page based on my configuration?

wildflower_1-1654017451177.png

Watermark is only visible on the last page:

wildflower_2-1654017618068.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels