Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Error "Attempted to write beyond Excel's maximum row (1048576)"

kbrezski
6 - Meteoroid

I have a workflow that has been working perfectly for a few weeks that contains 10 output tools, all writing to excel. Today, I went to run my workflow again and I received an error message on four of the output tools. Three of them say  "Attempted to write beyond Excel's maximum column (XFD)" and the other says  "Attempted to write beyond Excel's maximum row (1048576)". I have confirmed with a browse tool that my output only has 17 columns and there are only 161 rows per output file.

As far as I know there would be nothing that happened to this file that could have caused a change. I am the only one use utilizes this workflow.

I have tried to delete out the output tools with errors and add new ones and close and restart my Alteryx. I also can't change my file output type to anything except excel.

Has anyone ever encountered this error before?

Thanks so much!

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@kbrezski Did you try with a different input file?

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi - What are your output options set to in the output tools? Is it appending each time or only overwriting? You can also try the suggestions in this post 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Output-Data-Error-number-of-re...

kbrezski
6 - Meteoroid

I was able to find a solution. When I would configure an output tool to overwrite a tab in excel, but keep formatting, I have been using "A1:ZZZ999999" for a long time, to ensure the entire space I would be writing to keeps its formatting. It appears in the most recent version of Alteryx (2023.1.1.123) this causes the error listed above. When I changed my range to be "A1:ZZ99" the issue went away and I was able to write to excel like normal. 

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@kbrezski @Instead of using the fixed range if you add a count record tool and use that count to the range , that would make your workflow dynamic 

Terabithian
5 - Atom

I encountered the same issue.

Even if my output record is surely less than 1048567, but if I set the output range to be A1:ZZZ9999999, I will receive this error. This happens in 2023.2 version.

However, using the same approach, I did not receive the error message in Version 2022.3.1.486.

Don't know whether the output tool changes in versions?

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels