Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
GELÖST

Operator help for IF Condition

CDIns
Asteroid

Currently trying to populate column 3 based on value in column 1 - if column 1 not equal to 1 populate column 3 with "NONE"

My Statement is as follows: 

IIF([Column1]!="1", "NONE", [Column3])

The error I am getting is saying there is an invalid operator of "!=", however I often use this operator in other conditional statements. Where am I going wrong? 

I should add, column 1 is not a boolean data type and confirmed Alteryx is not comprehending it as such via select tool. 

thank you, 

7 ANTWORTEN 7
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If Column 1 is numeric, remove the quotes around the 1 and it should work!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

What data type is Column1? If it is a number then you don't need quotes around the number 1. The value only requires quotes around it if it is evaluating a string data type. 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The following approaches should work:

IIF([Column1]!=1, "NONE", [Column3])

IIF(ToString([Column1])!="1", "NONE", [Column3])

IIF(ToNumber([Column1])!=1, "NONE", [Column3])

CDIns
Asteroid

Thank you!

Just to confirm I am following correctly: The first statement would work if column 1 is numeric, is the second statement basically saying you can keep the "" around 1 but first you need to convert column one from numeric to string JUST for this formula? and the third statement would work if column 1 was a string but I didn't want to include the "" around 1? 

CDIns
Asteroid

Thank you!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yep so to elaborate

IIF([Column1]!=1, "NONE", [Column3]) - This formula works if column 1 is a numeric data type and only if it is a numeric data type. If the data type changes for some reason, this formula will throw a syntax error. 

IIF(ToString([Column1])!="1", "NONE", [Column3]) - This formula works with both string and numeric data types because the actual expression turns column 1 values into strings regardless of whether they are already strings or if they are numbers. This is the most flexible format because it can deal with multiple formats. 

IIF(ToNumber([Column1])!=1, "NONE", [Column3]) - This formula technically works with both string and numeric data types because it converts the values in column 1 into a number prior to evaluating. The only downside here is scenarios where text values/characters are attempted to be converted into numbers which isn't always ideal. 

Therefore I would probably use the second expression here if there is any chance of column1 changing from number to string or vice versa in the future. 

CDIns
Asteroid

Brandon, thank you for the additional clarity - I will keep this in mind when building statements going forward. 

Beschriftungen