Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Mutli-Field - Monthly salary current and forecast

JPKao
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx. While I am able to build simple workflows, I am stuck on a complex situation using the Multi-Field tool. 

What I have is an employee database with salary, and building for a Year 1 (ex. 2024) and Year 2 (ex. 2025), with each month in a column. Each of this monthly columns has an employee salary.

Year 1 and Year 2 will change every year, so I already have build something that creates those monthly columns. Workforce planning.

What I try to achieve is to tell Alteryx to increase (Merit) the monthly salary April of Year 1 by x% and the following month to keep that new amount (May to December). Then increase the April of Year 2 by Y% and keep that new salary in each following months.

Example for Feb and March 2024 we have the current salaries, but as of April 2024 until March 2025 we need to apply current salary*1%, and also as of April 2025, add a new 3% increase. 

The Multi Field tool seems to be the only way to keep this dynamic.

What I could come up with as a beginner is only the following, but lacking too much knowledge. I also have attached an example excel of how it should look like as an output and input on each tab.

IF StartsWith([_CurrentFieldName_], 'Salaries 202') != 0

THEN [_CurrentField_] + [_CurrentField_]*[Merit Y2]/100
ENDIF

Would someone be able to help me out?

Many thanks

Kind regards,

J.

6 REPLIES 6
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You might have better luck transposing the data into a list first and then using the multirow formula tool instead. Once you've performed your calculation Crosstab the data back to the way it was. 

lwolfie
10 - Fireball

I think you are better off using a transpose tool combined with the Multi-Row Tool to get the answer you want.  Check out my workflow below to see how I did what you want.

JPKao
5 - Atom

Thank you cjaneczko for the tip, it seems to be the good way forward.

Thanks a lot Iwolfie for the workflow example. I will study your example so that I can get familiar with those logics and tools). At the first look it looks much more simple and nicer then what I tried to do with only the multi-field tool.

JPKao
5 - Atom

Thank you cjaneczko for the tip, it seems to be the good way forward.

JPKao
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot Iwolfie for the workflow example. I will study your example so that I can get familiar with those logics and tools). At the first look it looks much more simple and nicer then what I tried to do with only the multi-field tool.

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Take a look at the time series tools too that could help

Labels