Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row Formula Tool

bh1789
8 - Asteroid

Using the Multi-Row Formula Tool Expression:

IF [ID]=[Row+1:ID] AND [Date1=[Row+1:Date1: THEN 0 ELSE 1 ENDIF 

The intended result would be a 0 in New Field for both A1234 entries (rather than a 1 for the second New Field entry of A1234) ... can someone help me as to what I am doing incorrectly?  

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
bh1789
8 - Asteroid

please ignore the first attachment example.multi-row.xlsx  and instead view the 2nd attachment "exampleMultiRowQuestion.xlsx"  thank you

TimN
13 - Pulsar

I think you need to look back rather than forward.

IF [ID]= [Row-1:ID] AND [Date1]= [Row-1:Date1] THEN 0 ELSE 1 ENDIF

If you look forward then the 2nd A1234 will be compared to the first B2234.  Also, since the first row has nothing to look back to I defaulted row one.  See attached.

bh1789
8 - Asteroid

If I use the logic you suggested then I get just the opposite, the first occurrence of ID A1234 has a new field of 1 and the second occurrence has a new field of 0 ... I need both to be a 0 so I can drop them both

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Are you setting the parameter for Rows that don't exist?

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@bh1789 One way of doing

image.png

CoG
13 - Pulsar

If you want all values that have the same Date1 and ID to return 0 then you will need to sort the list by ID and Date1, then use both your condition and @TimN 's condition combined to check the next and previous rows:

IF ([ID]=[Row+1:ID] AND [Date1]=[Row+1:Date1]) OR ([ID]=[Row-1:ID] AND [Date1]=[Row-1:Date1]) THEN 0 ELSE 1 ENDIF

CoG
13 - Pulsar

As a note @binuacs - solution will work fine for the data set provided, but will not work if you have an [ID] with multiple dates, including some that match and some that do not match. In addition, if you have [ID]'s associated with only one date, then that method won't quite work either, and would need further fine tuning.

bh1789
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for your assistance.  I do have additional conditions as you mentioned (in attached file).  If you have time to assist I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels