Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Loop through input for download tool

Rico_Widmayer
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am using the download tool to retrieve data via API by providing a url. This works fine. 

The API does not allow to retrieve several sets of data at once which means I have around 50 different urls. 

I do not wannt to manually create 50 download tools, so I was trying to use a list of all urls and "loop through it". I was trying to use the iterative macro but could not finish successfully. Can you help me? :)

Workflow is very simple: Just a list of urls and a download tool that uses the url as input.

Rico_Widmayer_0-1677751755447.png

Thanks!!

1 REPLY 1
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Rico_Widmayer ,

I need more information to ascertain exactly what you're doing but there are a number of approaches to this.

1. Use the primary URL to go to the page which contains the sub-urls. You can then scrape this HTML and parse out the URLs on that page. You then feed these into a subsequent download tool which will then go and loop through each one.

2. If you are downloading data from Page 1 then Page 2 etc, you can determine the urls required simply by checking to see if there's a page= on the url string. You can then simply use the Generate Rows tool to generate the number required then append them to the base url which has page=. This will then create all required urls and you can feed these into a second download tool.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels