Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Left/Right/Trim function (string, char?)

MID_Pat
6 - Meteoroid

Trying to trim a string with the | character. Example: [string] = this is my comment for today|MID_Pat

Needs to be "this is my comment for today"

The username (which won't always be mine) will always be 9 characters (if that helps). I tried TrimRight([string],"|") but that doesn't work based on the bool "|" operator. I tried Replace([string],"|","@@") and then TrimRight([string],"@@"] ... that didn't work either.

The only way i can get this done is by adding this SQL code in my Alteryx input: Left([string], CharIndex(Char(124), [string]))

(and to make matters worst, Alteryx doesn't understand CharIndex(Char(124) so I can use this inside the workflow)

How can I build this into Alteryx, and not SQL? Why? Because some comments do not have the | character, which then return [string] = "null" in Alteryx; so I'd like to build an "If Then Else" statement in Alteryx.

Thanks for the help!!

3 REPLIES 3
markcurry
12 - Quasar

Can you use the FindString function to get the position of the |, then use the left?   See attached....

markcurry
12 - Quasar

Or simply using Text to Columns to split on the | either.

MID_Pat
6 - Meteoroid

FindString is exactly what I needed! I never knew this function existed! Thank you!

Labels