Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join Tool To Add New Column

giannademetroulakos
Meteoroide

I have 2 identical reports, one from June and one from July. I am trying to use the join tool to add the revenue column from the June file to the end of the July file. I want the output file to have a full list of all customers in one column (even if they were only a customer in one of the months and not both), another column with the revenue from July for each customer and a third column with the revenue from June for each customer. How should I configure the join tool to do this? Thank you

8 RESPOSTAS 8
cjaneczko
Pulsar

One way is to add the join tool and join on the Customer Number. Bring in the the Revenue from both sheets. After that add a Union Tool and join in the Left, Right and Center of the join. This will bring every record in from both sheets whether there was a match or not. You should then have a column for Customer Number, June Rev and July Rev. 

giannademetroulakos
Meteoroide

This is what I currently have set up, but the output has a Customer Name column and a Right Customer Name column. I am looking for one column that has all the customer names from both the right and left inputs

cjaneczko
Pulsar

Add a select tool after the Union and deselect the Right Customer.

image.pngimage.png

giannademetroulakos
Meteoroide

Would that get rid of any customers who were only in the right input file though?

Rags1982
Bola de fogo

Add the select AFTER the Right of the join but BEFORE the Union. Then Rename 'Right_Customer' to Customer. The Union will then work as intended. 

jdminton
Quasar

The only one labeled as "Right_Customer" would be from the "J" output. The right and left will just be labeled "Customer". You can just deselect the right_customer in the join itself.

giannademetroulakos
Meteoroide

I have realized a new problem. The customer name may be in the july file on 2 separate lines but each line has a different revenue value. I want those values to either be added together in the output and have one single line per customer or have the output have the 2 lines for the customer and keep the correct revenue values - right now my output file is giving me 2 lines for the customer but is picking one revenue value and using it for both lines

jdminton
Quasar

You should be able to handle that by summarizing before the join.

Enquetes
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Rótulos