Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
RÉSOLU

Is there a formula to convert a float to a percent?

bjemison
Météore

Hello all,

So I am already aware that I can easily change the data type for a field by dragging in the Select tool and then changing the type. However I don't want to convert all of the numbers in my Rate column to a percent. I have another column that indicates "flat rate" or "percent" and I only want to convert the numbers that have "percent" in this other column. I tried looking for something similar to the ToString() function, but instead of ToString it would be like ToPercent. Then I could write a formula like:

IF [Flat Rate vs Premium] = "Percent"

THEN ToPercent([Rate])

ELSE([Rate])

I can't seem to find an easy way of doing this. Any suggestions?

3 RÉPONSES 3
DavidThorpe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @bjemison 

All values in an output field must be of the same type - if you wish them to be percentage format i.e. '97.7%', then the field must be a string type.

To achieve this you can create a new field with the formula

IF [Flat Rate vs Premium] = "Percent"

THEN tostring([Rate])+'%'

ELSE tostring([Rate])

ENDIF

Additionally, you can add a *100 statement if your raw data is of format 0.977 (i.e. tostring([Rate]*100)+'%')

You can also control the number of decimal places in your percentage output, through the process on the below article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Currency-formula-or-adding-the-comma-separat...

If you want your output to be numeric (float, double etc.) then you will not be able to suffix the '%', as these characters are not supported in numeric field types.

Thanks

bjemison
Météore

Hi David,

You're right. That makes sense that we can't have different data types in the same column. Good point. I like the alternative that you suggested. Thank you for answering and have a great day!

DavidThorpe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

No problem - you too!

Étiquettes