Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it posssible to generate a random string columns (name)

akash_kumar99
7 - Meteor

Is it possible to add random string column for example name or nationality in an alteryx workflow ?.

I have used the following workflow to build the entire dummy data-

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2019/04/29/quickly-generate-dummy-data-in-alteryx/

Is it possible to add 2 random text column (name and nationality) as well to the above workflow ?

These text values should make some sense not like too random, any ideas ?

12 REPLIES 12
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @akash_kumar99 

If you already have name data (you could just download most popular baby names for example) and nationality (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/geographical-names-and-information) you could select and random sample (Random % Sample Tool) and join on Record position (Join Tool).

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@akash_kumar99 

Follow the suggestion by @PhilipMannering , I modified the original workflow to give random contry name and names.

1. Coutry name is from the link by @PhilipMannering .

2. Person Names are from 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-120-Popular-Baby-Names/td-p/171607
Generate+Dummy+Data.PNG

akash_kumar99
7 - Meteor

That's amazing, thanks 🙂

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@akash_kumar99 
Appreciate you would make it as accept if you think this is what you need.

akash_kumar99
7 - Meteor

Since the main aim is to create dummy data for a large dataset, is it possible to add the 2 excel files, used above and just have random names and nationality to the same work flow mentioned in my post ?

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@akash_kumar99 
How large the data is? Maybe need to repeat the country names. But basically it should work.

akash_kumar99
7 - Meteor

I need to append the 2 excel files (Name & Nationality) mentioned in your post to the original workflow in my post, like a random distribution, is that possible ?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @akash_kumar99 

If you see @Qiu's workflow

He is assigning an RandomID for country and name which in turn is getting random name and country.

The workflow is purely randomized you can run the workflow for 3 or 4 times you can see the name and country changing each time.

atcodedog05_0-1606721077952.png

If you are saying like to append Name and Country and create a single file its not suggestable because of records in name db is huge around 97k. If we append name and country it would be 97k x 196 records which is very huge data. Hence this method is suggestable. 

Hope this gives some clarity and helps 🙂 feel free to ask more questions.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@atcodedog05 
thank you for the detailed explaination.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels