Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input multiple files of different names/types/schemas, cleanse and output them individuall

ITF
5 - Atom

Dear Community members

Are there better ways to process 44 files of different names, different schemas, and different types (mainly .xls/.xlsx/.csv), cleanse them, and then see the output of each file for checking purposes?

N.B: So far I've used the "Directory" in addition to "Dynamic Input tools" , and in the Directory config file I've used *.csv* as "File specification"

screen_flow4.PNG

However I need to cleanse each file looped from the input directory in a kind of "debugging mode" to control the flows until everything works as expected.

Currently it processes everything at once and trigger exceptions for specific csv file

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and best regards

ITF

4 REPLIES 4
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sounds like a batch macro case! Try out the macro here: The Ultimate Input Data Flowchart (alteryx.com)

Note: if your .xlsx files have different sheet names, then you'll need to bring those in first with a Directory + Dynamic Input tool to "Import only list of sheet names" and add them to the end before then using the batch macro to read in all files!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'd recommend looking at this challenge - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-180-Thousand-File-Challenge/td-p/461356 and reviewing the solutions. You will need to change multiple parts of an input data tool if you are having a workflow dynamically choose between bringing in a .csv format and a .xlsx format.

ITF
5 - Atom

Hi Alex 

Thanks for the suggested link.

Best

ITF
5 - Atom

Hi apathetichell

Thanks for the suggested link.

Best

Labels