Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In-DB tool to write SQL

Glopez76
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am new to Alteryx and I am building a workflow to extract data from a MS SQL Server database and import it into Teradata, where the data needs to go through a process of data manipulation.

For the Teradata import piece, I am using the Connect In-DB tool.  The problem is that I cannot find a tool that connects to the Connect In-DB tool and that allows me to paste my Teradata SQL code to perform the data manipulation.  I am looking for something similar to the Input or Output data tools where there are sections to write the SQL code but that can be used with the In-DB tools.

7 REPLIES 7
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Connect In-DB tool is your way to paste in that code similar to the Input Data tool!

Glopez76
7 - Meteor

Thank you.

This code runs fine in Teradata but I am getting all sorts of errors when trying to run the code in Alteryx, though.  I am wondering if there is some other tool that I can connect to the Connect In_DB tool and that can help me with the troubleshooting process.

For example, I am trying to run the below code in the Connect In_DB tool but it is giving me the attached error message.

/*Creating a working table to perform all the data manipulation and processing in Teradata.*/

DROP TABLE [DB].GL_Alteryx_Work;

/*To create a working table with all the data from the previous table*/
CREATE MULTISET TABLE [DB].GL_Alteryx_Work AS(
    SELECT  
        CASE 
            WHEN Length ("DateTime") = 23 --To account for bad data-DateTime fields containing extra characters                THEN Cast ("DateTime" AS TIMESTAMP(3) FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DDBHH:MI:SS.S(3)')
            WHEN Length ("DateTime") <> 23
                THEN Cast(Cast("Date" AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') AS TIMESTAMP(3) FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DDBHH:MI:SS.S(3)')
            ELSE NULL
        END AS New_DateTime,
    --"DateTime" AS New_DateTime,    Cast ("Date" AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') AS "Date",
    Call_Type_ID,
    Call_Type_Desc, 
    Call_GUID, 
    DNIS,
    Digits_Dialed,
    Caller_ID,
    Cast (Call_Disp AS INT) AS Call_Disp,
    Call_Disp_Desc,
    Cast (Call_Disp_Flag AS INT) AS Call_Disp_Flag,
    Call_Disp_Flag_Desc,
    Cast (Call_Duration_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Call_Duration_sec,
    --casting the value in seconds to the HH:MI:SS format    Cast (Ring_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Ring_Time_sec,
    Cast (Delay_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Delay_Time_sec,
    Cast (Time_to_Aband_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Time_to_Aband_sec,
    Cast (Hold_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Hold_Time_sec,
    Cast (Talk_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Talk_Time_sec,
    Cast (Work_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Work_Time_sec,
    Cast (Local_Q_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Local_Q_Time_sec,
    Cast (Conference_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Conference_Time_sec,
    Cast (Network_Time_sec * INTERVAL '0000:01' MINUTE TO SECOND AS INTERVAL HOUR TO SECOND) AS Network_Time_sec,
    Agent_Skill_Target_ID,
    Person_ID,
    Agent_First_Name,
    Agent_Last_Name
    FROM    ENTPR_INTEL_CIHUB_USER.GL_Alteryx_All)WITH DATA
PRIMARY INDEX comp_index_all (Call_GUID ,New_DateTime, Caller_ID) --Non unique primary index with aliasPARTITION BY Range_N ("Date" --Index partitioning by dateBETWEEN DATE '2020-01-01' 
    AND DATE '9999-12-31' EACH INTERVAL '1' DAY,NO RANGE);

apathetichell
19 - Altair

You cannot use a drop statement in-db. You can use it in presql/postsql in input data/output data. In addition you would not use a create statement In-db. You would start with your select statement.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This ^

Nice @apathetichell!

Glopez76
7 - Meteor

Thank you.  I had no idea.  Do you know where I can find these rules?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

This has some rules - https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/designer/tools/in-database-overview.html#idm45439309718480 - but tbh - hitting an error and searching in community is the best place to learn.

Glopez76
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels