Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Import Percentage

CSmithAltus
5 - Atom

Hello! 

I am importing a Netsuite file that has a percentage field.  The CSV that comes out of Netsuite has the field formatted like this: 100.00%.

Because Alteryx recognizes that its a number, I cannot do string transforms on it (such as trimming the %), even after using the Select tool to try and make it a String.  Because it has a %, it always gives the error "Lost in translation".

So far, it works despite that error (100% gets converted to 100, which I then divide by 100 to get 1), but it's messy and I don't like conversion errors.

Is there a best practice for importing weird percentages like that, or perhaps a Tool I'm missing?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @CSmithAltus 

I believe with the %, the data will come thru as a string field. You can then use the Trim function to get rid of the the % sign. Once done, with a Select, you can change it to double or fixed decimal. Hope that helps. If not, perhaps a sample dataset would help. Cheers!

CSmithAltus
5 - Atom

This is exactly what I attempted, but when I attempted to Trim the column with the Formula tool, it gives me a Type mismatch error, stating it needs to be a String, despite the fact that I have used the Select tool to make that field a String.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hi - could you post some data as .txt, .csv or something like that? I think part of the problem may be you are converting things in a select tool - that usually doesn't work great...

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels