Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to use dynamic workflow data as a parameter in tool configuration?

ssong58
5 - Atom

Use case:

I read from a database that contains partial filename strings, e.g. "ABC123".  I then need to go look in a particular folder for files that match that pattern, e.g. "ABC123_alpha.csv", "ABC123_beta.csv", etc.

I have added the Input Data tool and am querying for the partial filenames, and I added a Directory tool and pointed it at the correct folder. How can I take the partial filename from the Input Data tool, and use it as the "File Specification" pattern in the left-sidebar configuration of the Directory tool?

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

read up on chained apps.

TUSHAR050392
10 - Fireball

i am not sure if I understood it correctly but you are trying to use partial input string outputted from one input to find all related files that contain those string from the directory output. If that is the case then take output of the partial input string and read all files from the directory with file specification to be *.*.

Then use the find replace tool- F side will be output of directory and R will be partial string. Field mapping will be FileName from directory and Partial string column from other input and keep the match whole words only unticked so that way wherever your partial string will be contained in file name, you will get the append field to record value else null.

Hope this was helpful

CoG
13 - Pulsar

You could also cleverly use a batch macro in this case:

Screenshot.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels