Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to burst/produce multiple lines of a data row using a variable?

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Was wondering what's the best way to go about being able to burst a data row into multiple rows (like lower level of detail) that would sum to the original data row if you have the variable for the burst # of rows?

For example: If I have this data

Grocery Aisle #   |   # of Shelves   |   # of Products  --> With # of Shelves as my variable to burst to the # of rows

1                             2                         4

2                             3                         9

How do I use Alteryx to produce this:

Grocery Aisle #   |   # of Shelves   |   # of Products   

1                             1                         2 --> Aisle 1 was divided into 2 (# of Shelves); Sum of Products still at 4 Total

1                             1                         2

2                             1                         3 --> Aisle 2 was divided into 3 (# of Shelves); Sum of Products still at 9 Total

2                             1                         3

2                             1                         3

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

What should happen if the # of products is not evenly divisible by the # of shelves?

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your questions, Luke_C, and good question!

My use case actually deals with amounts instead of # of products so it should be okay if it's not evenly divisible. Decimals would be okay. Thank you!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

You can use the generate row tool paired with some formulas to take care of this: 

Luke_C_0-1649424477701.png

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much, Luke_C!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a newbie with Alteryx and have this project with a requirement of the burst rows in a different sheet (using a spreadsheet app Excel or GSheet) than the original data sheet. So output would have 2 sheets: Sheet1 with original non-burst data, and Sheet2 with the burst data.

Would your Alteryx solution change with this requirement? (Apologies I didn't have this in my original post.)

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

No I don't think so, I would just have an output tool connected to the original input, and an output tool connected to the burst data.

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thank you again so much, Luke_C! Very much appreciate your help!

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C - I posted another question here. Hoping you could come to the rescue again! Thank you!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Suggestions-on-how-to-append-a-quot-co...

Labels