Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get the 7 day trailing avg. given a specific date

breanna_hunt
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am just getting started and am stumped on how to calculate the trailing 7-day average given a specific start date. I have a file with account ids and a sign-up date and a file with the daily historical VIX(a measure of the volatility of the S&P 500 index).

I want to create a calculated metric for every account id with the average volatility for the 7 days after the sign-up date. Any ideas regarding how I could accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Breanna

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Breanna, I could give this a go but i'm not sure I fully understand what your after. Would it be possible to insert a snapshot on your data and also an example of your desired output?

breanna_hunt
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Ben -

Thanks for your willingness to help. I've attached the sample data and the output. I also realized I should have said that I am looking for the 1.) Trailing Average to include the signup date and 2.) The signup date can be on a day when the there is not a record for  the VIX(weekend/market holiday) in which case I would want the calculated field to look for the next date in the table.

Thanks again!!

breanna_hunt
6 - Meteoroid

I didn't see a way to attach multiple files so here is the VIX data.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @breanna_hunt,

I would make a expanded timeseries where weekend and holidays have null entries. You can then easily compute a running count of non-nulls and running total of the average close.

You then need only join back to the record 6 days earlier (as we include the final point) and compute change in count and change in total. The 7 day moving average can then easily be computed.

This moving average can then be joined to the required set of dates to produce the values you need.

Have attached a sample workbook doing the moving average calculation.

James

breanna_hunt
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you SO much for your help. This is exactly what I needed!

Labels