Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting data into a excel file

Jackf99
7 - Meteor

I want to format the data i extract from one file into the format of the other file. I have looked into reporting tools but they seem very tedious and I am not even sure how I would use them to build my template. Any easy ways to transform my data into this sheet? (I need to keep formatting as this sheet)

Here is the incoming data,

(Some columns missing in photo but just assume they are there)

in.png

Here is the format I want it in, 

(The red highlighting is where data will go and the field name is to the left, everything else should stay the same always)

out.png

7 REPLIES 7
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @Jackf99 ,

I guess your case is similar to the case of this Blog page.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-Blob-Reporting-That-Isn-t-From-a-Horror-Film/ba-p/...

If you know each field name and its coordinate (Cell No) in the sheet, you can make it in a table,

create a full path of the data range with Formula tool,

and put it to output data tool as below.

WriteToCell.png

I hope this helps. Good luck.

CoG
13 - Pulsar

I learned something new today. Thanks, @Yoshiro_Fujimori !

Jackf99
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the help! This is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at the blob post before but it confused me your workflow clears everything up.

Jackf99
7 - Meteor

The solution works on and off, sometimes I am getting a unable to create backup, access denied error. Do you know how to fix this? I think its happening because the blobs .bak file stops the output from creating one. Im not sure what to do at this point

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@Jackf99 ,

As "Access Denied" Error has not occurred on my PC, I am not exactly sure what is happening.

But if the error occurred at the last Output Data Tool,

I guess the tool may be trying to open the file for updating the 2nd cell, before closing the same file for the 1st cell.

If it is the case, separating the output jobs may solve the conflict of the file access.

In the attachment, I packaged the output process in a batch macro, hoping the file is closed at the end of each iteration.

I hope it works on your end.

Main Workflow

workflow_main.png

Batch Macro

workflow_macro.png

Jackf99
7 - Meteor

That worked thank you

Jackf99
7 - Meteor

Would you mind checking out my other question if possible,

Attach the original files to output (Keep formatti... - Alteryx Community