Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill in missing values with data from another data set

klaraklara
6 - Meteoroid

I have two different datasets. The first one has some missing values and the second datasets contains the missing values.

How do I combine the two columns such that the missing values are filled in?

Identification

Values
3h
5h

Identification

Values
2g
4g

9 REPLIES 9
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Check out the join tool.

Firstly filter your top dataset to only those instances where there is no blank value.

You can then take this stream and perform a join to bring through the value from your lookup table.

The next step would be to union this joined dataset with the new value with those records that weren't blank in the first place.

Give this a go and let us know if you need further help!

Ben

klaraklara
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much for a quick reply, BenMoss.You are a real life saver.

I did still not manage to perform the task, may I get some further help?

Best regards,

Klara

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes of course, if you send your workflow then we can have a look.

Ben

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Attaching a sample workflow for your case.  Union and filter tool will help you to get desired results. 

Sample Data 1Sample Data 1Sample data 2Sample data 2WorkflowWorkflowResultsResults

danrh
13 - Pulsar

I built this, then re-read the first post by @BenMoss and realized it's essentially the same thing.  So here's what his astute solution might look like!

image.png

This checks if there's a value in the first dataset (in case a value exists in both), then grabs the matching records from the second dataset.  Hopefully this gets you close!

klaraklara
6 - Meteoroid

Code

ItemDatePlace
123shoe12/4london
124tie12/6

paris

125 12/7Italy
126trousers12/8Bergen
127 12/10Oslo

CodeItem
125dress
127tie

Thank you so much. I made a new example, so that it should be easier to see what my problem is.

So, I cannot manage to get alteryx to merge the two datasets so that the item column is completely filled.

So sorry! Did not see all of your kind replies!

danrh
13 - Pulsar

The files didn't come through with your workflow, but based on the data you had in your last post try out the attached.  Same concept as before, just with the different fields.

image.png

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case.  Hope it helps. 

WorkflowWorkflowResultsResults

klaraklara
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks a lot all of you! It was very helpful!

Labels