Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill Blank rows with 0 using IF and ISEMPTY

Tummi
5 - Atom

I'm trying to better understand the IF and ISEMPTY function on one of my flows. Currently I have a column with rows of numbers while some rows are blank. I'm trying to create a formula that within that column if there are any rows blank, then fill with 0. The current formula I have written out is:

IF ISEMPTY([Column ]) THEN 0 ELSE [Column ] ENDIF

However, the output doesn't seem to fill the blank rows and am unsure what the error may be on my end to fix the formula.

5 REPLIES 5
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Are the cell empty or null? You may need to use IsNull([Column]) instead of IsEmpty().

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Tummi, IsEmpty() ought to work absolutely fine here. I'd check the rows are truly empty/null i.e. aren't just a space or something. If so you could try a slightly modified expression like:

IF ISEMPTY(Trim([Column ])) THEN 0 ELSE [Column ] ENDIF

This will strip whitespace and make the cell empty so that your if condition is triggered if that is the case.

Tummi
5 - Atom

It's showing up as a blank value. Doesn't indicate as null

Tummi
5 - Atom

Not sure how the trim fixed it but it definitely worked! Thank you for the help!

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Tummi although the records *look* blank/empty, they sometimes aren't i.e. might just be a single space/bit of whitespace. Trim removes all whitespace and thus renders the record to be *actually* empty/null. Therefore, when you wrap the IsEmpty() check around that, it will trigger as true and fill with your 0 value. Hope this helps!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels