Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exporting to Excel, multiple workbooks, some will have >1,000,000 rows

TeamTJ
8 - Asteroid

I have a .csv file I'm reading into Alteryx for the purpose of spitting it out into more manageable chunks in Excel.

I already know how to break it into different files from this KB: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Output-to-separate-Excel-files/ta-p/1247

My issue is that some of my chunks may have over a million rows, and Excel doesn't like that.

I'm stumped as to how to handle these...any suggestions?  

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Can you split the chunks into multiple sheets on the same file?

I've written something like that before, using a similar method to that KB article.

Basically, I used a Multi-Row-Formula to create a new RecordID field.  You can group by the column you're using to break out your files, with the following formula:

[Row-1:RecordID]+1

This will get you an identifier for each row of data.

Then you can create your filename with a formula that looks sort of like

"YOURPATH\"+[YourFileNameField]+'.xlsx|Sheet'+TOSTRING(CEIL(RecordID/1000000))

This will output files to your expected path and filename, and the first million records will go in Sheet1, then the second million in Sheet2, etc.

TeamTJ
8 - Asteroid

Took me a while to implement this but most of that time was spent looking for a silly typo on my part ( ' vs " ) but this worked like a champ, thank you VERY much!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels