Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel formula is annoying and appears too complex for Alteryx...

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm replacing a "horrible" Excel spreadsheet with a workflow, and although the formula is easy to understand in Excel I've not found a way to create it in Alteryx Designer...

AD3=IFERROR(IF(AB3="Limited","Limited","Fixed"),IFERROR(IF(AA3="Limited","Limited","Fixed"),AC3))

The IFERROR(...) formula have been added because column AB can contain #N/A "error values" as it was generated by an non-trapped error lookup

Column AA may also contain percentage numbers as well as N/A string values (and the #N/A error values).

Column AC, used as the default only contains valid strings or (blanks)

Both columns also contain the target "Limited" and "Fixed" strings too!

I'm sure there must be a way, but I can't see anything obvious...

Columns AA, AB and AC exist at the point in the workflow where I'm (hoping) to use a formula tool to add a new column AD.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Paul_s_Moody any chance you can put a snippet of the column(s) (or sample data) and the expected output? I'm sure we can build the logic!  

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I've added a sample of the column file.

Keeping it consistent to my original example, the data starts in column AA with the new column added in AD

Regards,

Paul

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Paul_s_Moody Just got round to this. Two screenshots, one with your expected output, one with the output after using Alteryx formula:
1. Formula in Alteryx:

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1677693191715.png

2. Your expected output

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1677693205378.png

3. Side by side view

BS_THE_ANALYST_2-1677693269754.png

4. Formula to use for your column:
IF [GMP Revaluation Type] = "Limited" THEN "Limited"
ELSEIF [GMP Revaluation Type] = "#N/A" THEN
(
IF [GMPRevalRate] = "Limited" THEN "Limited"
ELSEIF [GMPRevalRate] = "#N/A" THEN [GMP Reval Rate]
ELSE "Fixed"
ENDIF
)
ELSE "Fixed"
ENDIF

I'll attach the workflow aswell. If it doesn't work, just @ me and we'll get it sorted.

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!

It was the ability to embed an additional IF clause in (...) within the main clause that I was missing!

I'd not seen any examples of this so many thanks.

Knowing this will make other formula easier to deal with too!

Regards,

Paul

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels