Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Efficiency question: transpose and clean one field vs multi-field calc

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I have a data-set that has MANY concatenated fields. They have various data cleansing issues that I'm solving using a complex REGEX function or even multiple REGEX functions. The REGEX function is pretty heavy and can be a bottleneck in the workflow once I'm the dataset gets into the millions of records size.

Which is more efficient?:

A: Apply the same regex to all the columns using the Multi-Field Formula tool

B: Transpose - perform regex on the [Value] field - crosstab

I could answer that myself if I understood whether or not a mult-field calc is done in parallel or serial.

If the multi-field tool can perform the calc on all(or some) of  the fields at the same time, then I would think A is more efficient. BUT if it does it in serial(column 1, then column 2, etc..) then I would think B would be more efficient.

Thanks,

Craig

1 REPLY 1
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@csh8428 ,

for efficiency I'd recommend not transposing.  Avoid Regex if possible.  Use formulas specific to the field contents.  

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels