Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically Include/Exclude Fields

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I am working with the Field Info tool.  A long setup is required....

My inputs are Excel files in a data across construct.  No big deal there.

The first 13 field/names (dimensions) remain constant for each file. 

The last 3 fields/names (dimensions) also remain constant for each file (with the last field being FileName).

In theory, there should be 6 fields that contain values (measures) starting with field #14, for a total of 22 fields.

In reality, the number of fields that contain values (measures) can range from 6 to 28 fields -- for a total of 22 to 44 fields.

The value fields represent quantity and dollars for a given year across three years which results in the minimum number of 6 value (measures).

The names of the value fields are different for each file, but follow the construct:

Fields 1-13Yr 1 QuantityYr 1 DollarsYr 2 QuantityYr 2 DollarsYr 3 QuantityYr 3 DollarsLast 3 Fields  

The challenge occurs when Yr 2 Quantity Yr 2 Dollars are not finalized. 

This generates additional Quantity and Dollar field pairs for Year 2 -- up to 10 pairs or 20 fields in total for one input file.

Typically even this is not a problem as I can tell the workflow to simply to grab the last quantity / dollar pair for each Yr. 

The example below depicts three pairs for Yr 2 Quantity and Yr 2 Dollars. 

Normally, I would tell the workflow to grab the last two fields for each year, which in this case would grab Pair C fields for Yr 2.

Yr 1 QuantityYr 1 Dollars

Yr 2 Quantity

Pair 1

Yr 2 Dollars

Pair 1

Yr 2 Quantity

Pairs 2-9

Yr 2 Dollars

Pairs 2-9

Yr 2 Quantity

Pair 10

Yr 2 Dollars

Pair 10

Yr 3 QuantityYr 3 Dollars

**The problem occurs when I don't want the last pair for Yr 2 for a given file.  What if I want Pair 7 of 10?

Is there a way to dynamically select which fields to include/exclude for a given file input using a look up table or some other approach?  ...that is to take the first 13 fields, the last 3 fields, and then using some approach to tell it which value field pairs to take?

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Dynamic Select allows you to choose which fields you want. You can add it to a batch macro and use an [Name] in ... to select which you fields you want.  you can also use regex_match if you have specific requirements that you can dictate using regex.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you looked at the Dynamic Select tool? You can use a Formula in here to select based off of Contains functions, column positions, and so on!

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@alexnajm @apathetichell 

Thanks both.  I resorted to brute force.  It is not pretty, but it works. 

The Dynamic Select tool was very helpful, but I found myself wanting something that combined the functionality of both the Dynamic Select, Field Info, and Sample tools.

For example, field selection is driven by an a year date included in the filename -- hence I had to use a Field Info tool coupled with a Regex tool to create a new field with the year that would then drive how I identified the field pairs of interest.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 093845.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels