Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic rename tool is altering downstream tools

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

Has anyone had issues with the dynamic rename tool downstream? I am using the dynamic rename tool to name columns based on the previous 5 days and whenever i run it on a new date, the tools i am using after are automatically selecting the new date fields and removing my configuration on the table tool. Is there a way to fix this?

11 REPLIES 11
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mansenie ,

Would you be able to share a quick example showing what is happening? Based on that, I can try to help you fix it.

Best,

Fernando V.

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

In the SC, all of the date fields are dynamically renamed (including Yest). So when i ran it yesterday and saved, i did not select those fields to be included in that table tool. But when i ran it this morning, it automatically selected those 4 date fields at random. the only thing i can think of is that when the dates change, my configurations are deleted. 

Mansenie_0-1574701179277.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mansenie ,

Maybe the problem is that you selected the 'dynamic or unknown fields' option.

If you do that, all the new fields will be automatically included.

Please check the image below and let me know if that works for you.

fmvizcaino_0-1574701586123.png

Best,

Fernando V.

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

Yes i thought of that after posting the question but i cant test this until tomorrow. I will give an update tomorrow after running the workflow. Thanks!

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

it did not work. I did not select that field but when my dates change, the table configurations are gone.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mansenie ,

It is possible to control the columns using a dynamic select tool. Is it possible for you to provide the column names before and after the change? Only for me to develop an example for you.

Best,

Fernando V.

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

The name of the columns are as follows:

Before change

After change 
YesterdayToday - 1
D2Today - 2
D3Today - 3
D4Today - 4
D5Today - 5
D6Today - 6
D7Today - 7
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mansenie ,

To answer you properly, I think I need to understand the whole picture. 

Each day the workflow run, columns are renamed based on today's date, right? 

The 'dynamic or unknown field' option are used if you want your tool to select or deselect columns that don't exist at the time so, if you are renaming columns every day, this option will check or uncheck all new names.

If you want your table to never select new columns, you need to deselect the unknown option, but if you want to insert new columns, but not all of them, we can create a configuration to dynamically select what you want.

Let me know what you need exactly and I will try to do my best.

Fernando Vizcaino

Mansenie
7 - Meteor

So i have column headers in a table that are being renamed based on the first dynamic rename tool. once the date changes, my table no longer looks the same because the column names change. 

Mansenie_0-1574856830086.png

Labels